2.19.2008

Hypnosis

I was sitting in the Writing Center last night, as I have a lot lately. It's become my room now that I spend almost no time in my sleeping quarters while awake. A few of my friends were around and we were occasionally spicing up our homework with conversations on current campus controversy or other mind stimulating topics. As this happened, I found the most enormous butterfly clip I have ever seen attached to the pocket of Chris' bag. I immediately removed it and began placing it on different parts of my body.

At first this did nothing but cause painfully loud reactions, followed immediately by throwing the clip off of my person. After a while I began finding strategically painful parts of my body and testing to see if I could maintain my composure while it latched on. It wasn't masochistic, okay not that masochistic, it was more out of curiosity.

I've always had a really high pain tolerance. The fact that I could clamp this onto my nose or knuckle while simultaneously continuing conversation wasn't wholly surprising.

I think this says something about me. I've been having issues lately with certain people's reactions to the person that I am. I understand that I have faults, large ones, that I need to work on, as we all do. What I founds was that I like to push limits. I have this craving to learn just how far I can go, then try to push past that. This idea of boundaries seems too safe for me (most of them, at least).

It's like those people who opt for hypnosis rather than anesthetics. A higher form of pain aversion.

So there I was, sitting on a couch in a room designed to make people comfortable, pinching myself with this clip and trying to keep my mind clear and ignore the pain. And I could do it.

No comments: