3.23.2008

Brechtian

The first weekend of Threepenny shows came to a conclusion last night. For the most part, I'm happy with how the show turned out. There are portions of my character that I would have liked to gone a different direction with, but I understand that as an actor, those decisions are not mine to make. Our director had an interesting vision for this show, one that I think ended up being a bit more muddled than he would have liked. Overall though, it's entertaining, comically poignant, and foggy as hell.

My buddies Braizen, Poncey, Spats, and Omelette saw the opening night performance and all had positive reactions (to my face at least). Otte and Marie made the venture down south from the Twin Cities to see the show/visit. It was a good time and I'm really glad that they could make it down.

My need to create has returned. I read the blogs of people like Kevin Smith or Mike Doughty, people who create for a living, and I realize just how badly I want to do that. Don't get me wrong, I still want to teach English in high school. I'm not talking about doing that as a means of maintaining a productive member of society (i.e. contributing to our recessing economy). I'm talking about creating for the sole purpose of creating. Spats and I have joked about how we're going to decorate our room next year with bedsheets that we'll then paint over. I actually love that idea, in moderation. I want my room to be a collage of things we've made.

I've been flooding myself with music by Cloud Cult lately. It's the most artistic music I've heard in a long time. Subtle indie rock meets electronic drums, a cello, and a violin, often with gorgeous five part harmonies over it all. On top of that, there are two people in the band whose purpose is to paint during concerts. That's right, live, on-stage art. I was blown away by the strength they have in their sound. Craig Minowa, I would love to meet you.



Sometimes we all just need to find faith in our own creation.

5 comments:

Palomon said...

Good music, man. How is it that I don't recall hearing them before?

yours truly said...

that's harder that it sounds--having faith in your own creation. but it must be so.

Timmy Troubadour said...

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/radio/services/the_current/features/specials/rock_the_garden/

i hope to god you've seen this. best lineup for a show i've seen in a very long time. i'd say it's worth the thirty-five clams.

Timmy Troubadour said...

How's life post-Brecht? Update.

Leta said...

My opinion, whether you wanna hear it or not:

Update.