6.19.2008

There Are A Million Things I'm Supposed To Do Today, But I'll Do None Of Them Because They Are A Million Things Doing Me

Over the past week I've had a bunch of things come to mind as topics I can and/or should blog about. However, my job has kicked in so much so that my last handful of days followed a pattern of wake up, go to work, come home, shower, sleep, repeat. I have more time off between my ending point today and my beginning point tomorrow then I have had between my last three days combined. Go figure, right?

I will now touch on a few of these said topics in no order, probably leaving a few to splice into other blogs later on.

-

So my other home is flooding. Not the one I'm living in right now. This one's on top of a hill. I'm safe here. But the one I call home for two thirds of my year is under a historic amount of water as the Cedar River is now holding its usual banks inside itself like a mother holds her child. Though short, this has been a traumatic pregnancy and now all we can do is wait to see what shape our baby's in when she meets this world.

I feel guilty, which is likely the result of my Catholic upbringing. I wish I was in Cedar Rapids, helping with the sandbagging and the relief efforts. However, here I am, dry and working in a theme park knowing and feeling that my home is suffering.

It's weird because I've never felt a guilt like this before. The closest I can get to describing it would be like watching a good friend of yours getting physically assaulted on television. You're lying on your couch, sipping soda, and someone you love and care for is being beaten and bruised miles away. You can't help, but you have to watch.

I wish them all the best.

-

Sadness overwhelmed me a few days ago when I turned on The Current (the only acceptable and normally quite reliable radio station in the Twin Cities) only to be greeted with the disaster that is the Red Hot Chili Peppers cover of Stevie Wonder's "Higher Ground."

I've been adamant about my distaste for the Peppers for quite some time now. I concede that a they are, for the most part, talented musicians. I just feel that they waste their talents on nonsense like "Hump de Bump" or really anything off of Stadium Arcadium. I'm sick of Anthony Kiedis making up words just so his attempt at vocal rhythm can seem more interesting. It's not, and I don't want to hear it.

Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic was good, I'll give you that. But stay away from Stevie.

-

Someone told me this would happen, but I didn't believe them. I have been proven wrong.

My sleep is now haunted with the operating of rides. I wake up nervous that I've stranded passengers at the top of the ferris wheel or that my carelessness in buckeling children into the race car ride has caused one to be projected into a cement wall. Sometimes I just freak out because I think I've aborted a cycle just after starting it and all of the children and their parents are going to be carving me with their upset eyes. All I want to do is sleep.

I want to make it known that these fears that plague my dreams seem unfounded as I've been completely successful so far in my endeavors. Fingers crossed that stays the same.

More to come.

1 comment:

Palomon said...

amen to the anti-makingstevieashamed thing. my other complaints about rhcp includes the fact that they have to throw in a reference to LA in every song.

for the record, the ferris wheel is one of my most feared rides, mostly because i'm afraid i'm gonna get stuck at the top. not sure if that helps, but i'm saying it anyway.