4.26.2008

Somehow We Fell Down By the Wayside

Whew, been a while since a sustainable update. I know, right? A bit of a warning, I believe the 'h' key on my laptop may be broken, so if you notice a word suspiciously missing that particular letter, be understanding.

It's finals week here in collegeland. I haven't had one yet, but one test on Monday, one on Tuesday, a poetry portfolio due Monday, and two papers due Wednesday have kept me a little more than busy. It's not that I'm trying to justify my prolonged absence, but you get it.

I DJed my first ever party last night. Not that it was the first party I've been to, just the first for which I was the DJ. I don't want to brag (but this is a blog; what else am I supposed to do?), but it went splendidly. See, yesterday was Shakespeare Day and the theatre group I'm president of teamed up with a fine arts appreciation group to plan events. We made t-shirts that named our favorite Shakespearean character and other miscellaneous things on them, played Shakespeare movies on the campus television station all day, had magnetic Shakespearean poetry outside the cafeteria for anyone to take part in, had a Shakespearean insult-off (and a spectacular rendition of Macbeth) at Blindspot, and finally, a Shake Your Willy Dance Party in the PUB. Hence the DJing. Tons of people came up to me afterwards and thanked me for my song selection, which ranged from mainstream and underground hip-hop to modern pop to 80's synth pop to ska. I never would have imagined having so much fun stepping back from the dancing of the party. I may have to look into this whole DJ thing.

I can't tell if I'm excited for summer or not. There are definite parts I'm pumped about, things like Soundset with Otte and Braizen, seeing my Grinaldo again (it's been centuries buddy), experiencing the Twin Cities energy (read: culture) again, and others. But there are things I'm unsure about, like not living next door to one of my best friends anymore, my brother staying at college for the summer, the fact that I don't have a job yet, and the redundancy that summers away from college can be. I'm sure it will be great, just different.

At the same time, I'm excited to be coming back next year. I'll be living with one of my best friends, which is always enjoyable. I have some cool ideas running around my head as for things I want to put in place on campus next year. You see, our campus newspaper has been getting into trouble recently for being willing to push buttons and dig into stories that we're told to leave alone, and as a result, the administration is taking a bit more of a stand in who will be our editor-in-chief next year. I've been flirting with the idea of producing a photocopied rag of sorts on campus, sort of an alternative to the often overly-censored and administrated newspaper. I've been sharing this idea with fellow current newspaper staffers as myself and have gotten a lot of their support. We'll see what happens. I'm thinking of calling it The Free Press. Better suggestions? Let me know.

I just got yelled at by some uppity alumni who supposedly just donated fifty grand to my college, and as such believes he should be allowed to force me into bending rules that were given to me by my boss here at the library. Pretentious bastard even took down my name. Let's bring the controversy, right? Countdown reads four days until I'm home anyways. Bring it buddy.

4 comments:

Timmy Troubadour said...

i support the starting of a "rag." they're more fun and more satisfying. i also support sending each and every copy my way. at this time i don't have any clever names so i support the name you've chosen.

support.

Palomon said...

very nice, buddy. fight the power. cool shit about getting to head home so early. i'm up in mo-town until the 17th, which is a bummer, but i'd love to have ya visit. i know it's short notice, but this saturday (the 3rd) the jazz bands are having a tonight show (stupid sketches and good music) and there's gonna be a killer party afterwards. or, ya know, there's other weekends too. lemme know. it's been too long (as has this comment).

Leta said...

You did DJ well - I approve, sir. Feel free to DJ any and all future PUB events.

Also, I wanna hear your thoughts about this year wrapping up.

Kyle said...

I'm not sure what happened, but at some point in the past seventy to a hundred hours I find myself completely aligned with that angry alum. You college students need to realize how much better the graduated are and how much respect they deserve. One day you'll understand this, but college is primarily about serving the needs of those who have graduated... silly undergrads...