5.15.2008

Neigh-bor(ed)-hood

I'm sitting at a coffee shop right now. It's something I've done often since returning home from my second year of collegiate education in a land far from here. This is one of my favorite coffee shops, as it roasts it's own plethora of beans on location, has a gorgeous outdoor patio with electrical outlets (where I currently sit), and has some of the prettiest and most conversational baristas around. (Firefox doesn't recognize the word barista. As I'm fairly sure I'm spelling it correctly, this saddens me. I thought the coffee shop culture had taken over enough to input words into our vocabulary. I guess I was wrong. Luckily there's that "Add to Dictionary" option. Take that Firefox.)

This coffee shop is about three blocks from the high school I graduated from just two years ago. Current students are walking by and some are stopping in for a drink. I can label them as patrons of my alma mater not because I recognize them, but because they are wearing the required garb of that particular institution. I am instantly reminded of a quote from Chasing Amy. "As it stands I have no '...and then she unzipped her jumper' stories." I realize that, though I did have a couple girlfriends in high school, this is true for me as well. I feel like I missed out on something that could have been truly great. Suppose we could all say that about a lot of things in our lives, couldn't we?

About twenty minutes ago this patio was jammed with people sitting at the various tables but communally conversing, as though this was a normal practice. I don't doubt that it was just that. I spotted in the crowd the owner of this particular espresso emporium. This is the first real place I ever played music in front of people, back in the days of the old folk trio Studio C. He came and talked to us after the show and invited us to come back and play whenever we liked. We never did. Every once and a while I throw on our CD and feel like, had we worked at it (also, had we not been seniors in high school, soon to disperse unto various colleges in various parts of the midwest), we could have made some serious quality music. Maybe these are delusions of grandeur mixed with nostalgia, but I say we were pretty badass. Anyway, I don't think he recognized me

A cloud cover has come, which has eased the task of actually seeing my laptop screen drastically. It has also cooled the breeze and lowered the temperature on the surface of the keys I am tapping. I am thankful.

I am getting a small taste of what post-collegiate life will be like, and I'm not entirely excited about it. It is still the case that all of my friends (including the mysterious female I have been mentioning) are still busy with school and won't be returning until this weekend. It's been a long two weeks, and I'm looking forward to having people I can call again.

While this area may later regain it's former title, it has grown painfully obvious that this just isn't home anymore, which I know I've said before. I'm starting to occasionally feel like I'm not actually real anymore. It's not a serious thing, more a fleeting thought. The world spins and sometimes I feel like maybe I'm taking a revolution off. It happens when I catch a glimpse of someone I do recognize from back when this was, without a doubt, the only home I'd ever had. Rarely do our glances meet and I usually continue on my way without establishing any sort of reunion. This is a comfort thing. Although I can often chat with ease with almost anyone, I find it immensely difficult to attempt any sort of reconstruction of past relationships. I don't know where to find the words to say and I often feel tat there's a required apology to be made for not keeping up the contact that neither of us realistically expected.

Personally, I can't stand it when someone who I maintained minimal if any contact with during my time living here wants to grab a cup of coffee and catch up. On the surface, that may sound pompous and egotistical, but when you think about it, what would we talk about? There would be no "remember when" stories and any telling of how our post secondary education is going would be forced and generic. I've been in those situations, awkward conversations at parties and other like scenarios. I dislike it, and as such avoid them whenever possible. This could be why I am so damn alone here though.

I fear more than almost anything, that I'm growing weak. I'm less likely to make bold moves, less likely to talk to a stranger or even friend if I feel the slightest bit uneasy about it. It's not that I second guess myself more now, it's that those feelings of "maybe I shouldn't..." come earlier and my growing unease makes me succumb to those nerves. While this is surely beneficial, I don't want it to take away from the spastic, uncontrolled edge that I've always had. I'm glad that this is developing because, to be honest, I'm sick of that spastic nature allowing me to say and do things that hurt the people I love, but I don't want it to disappear completely. I used to be ballsy and arrogant. I'm fine with losing the arrogance, but I want to maintain my courage.

Living alone is a disaster for someone who over thinks situations as much as I do. I'm caught in the introverted part of myself, something I usually have to purposefully devote time to find. Now, due to the complete absence of other voices, the only one I hear is my own echoing against each nook of my mind and, like a childhood game of telephone, that original message or thought gets warped and twisted and becomes something completely different. Sometimes I can't remember which was the original and which I manufactured. At least I realize that this is happening. That helps.

I have slight qualms about ending a post on something like that, but I'm going to do it anyway.

5 comments:

Timmy Troubadour said...

Just before college started my family went to the cabin for a week and a half while I stayed home to work. Around that time my first girlfriend of any significance broke up with me. I had no car and no curfew so I was forced to go home when the people I was hanging out with went home. Empty house, head full of thoughts. I spent most of those nights analyzing ever aspect of that relationship. I wrote a long poem called "Lovemath" during that week. I don't know if it's any good, but I did realize that, despite my own thoughts, I am real and people do love me even if they're not close enough to see me.

Leta said...

I understand that reluctance to "catch up." It's ... tiring, and so often just ends in a promise to keep in touch that both parties know is a lie, followed by another long period of living our own lives.

If you weren't close back then, it seems unlikely that an uncomfortable cup of coffee will transform the relationship into a deep friendship.

On the other hand, there is worth, I suppose, in reconnecting despite the discomfort.

Over-thinking is a bitch. It's probably necessary to qualify as an artist of any sort, but still - it's unfortunate. Feel free to call if you're looking for mindless chatter. Or meaningful conversation. It's kind of hit or miss with me.

Kyle said...

Here's something I notice about being not in college anymore (again with this), I can't remember high school at all. By that I mean there's a very good chance the people who want to catch up with you are completely different people than they were before. I suppose it's a craps shoot as to whether or not they turned into someone cool, but there's a possibility they're cool. On the other hand they could be people who want to use you to regain their high school selves. I knew this girl who was having such a difficult time moving on with her life after high school she wouldn't stop calling me over summer break in hopes of hanging out "just like back in school." Apparently we did, at some point, hang out... I could not recall.

I suppose what I'm saying is this person might be crazy, very likely they're going to knock you unconscious, drag you to their basement, dress you in a tuxedo stitched crudely by a crazy person, and then hold a never ending prom with what I can only assume will be a room full of skeletons shakled to each other on the dance floor in various stages of decay.

Or they could be cool.

meagan said...

Wow... I have a lot to say about what you just said. Which I think is good. You're really hitting on feelings that are universal, but you're expressing them in such an enlightened way. There are advantages to being an over-thinker sometimes. I am an over thinker as well and I've been told many times that it's one of my faults. But I find that over thinking allows me to know myself better than most people know themselves. I notice any little change in my attitude, demeanor, philosophy, and I figure out why it happened. And it's also good for writing as well, as I just complimented you above. Additionally, I think it allows me to know other people better as well, to know their thoughts and possible motivations, to see their side of things. Don't ever fault yourself for being an over thinker.

And I've noticed that I've become more introverted as I've gotten older as well, kind of a revert back to my fourth grade shy little self. But I don't think it's a bad thing. I used to be like you (I think, or at least the way I see you and the way you characterize yourself). When I was in high school, I was a smart kid who said what she thought, regardless if anyone agreed with her. And I had no friends. I live in a small town, I went to a small high school. And expressing opinions if you were female was a good way to ruffle feathers, which I did. When I got to college, I wanted friends, which I thought meant being nicer and keeping my mouth shut. As a result, I have friends, but I wouldn't characterize my college friends as people who really know me. It is important to strike a balance or you will inevitably sacrifice something good. I am still trying to figure out how to do it. :) Good luck to you sir.

meagan said...

Oh and as a response to what Kyle said... I'm finding that I have the same problem. I was over at a friends house the other night, a girl I knew in high school, and she got really excited because she had just downloaded this song. "You're gonna freak," she said. So she started to play the song and got more and more excited and I was just a blank. I had no idea what it was. And she was like, "don't you remember, when we were freshmen and Tiffany choreographed this song for us and we danced to it at the talent show?" And I was like, no. She prattled on and on about the dance (apparently it involved chairs and Tiffany got mad because I didn't turn my head at the right time, or something) and I still can't remember it.

I feel like an amnesia victim sometimes. It's strange to have someone else tell you about your life and you sit there like they're talking about someone else. But the thing is - my friend hasn't been to college, so the only reference she really has for the last four years is her job and high school. And high school was the greatest time of her life. Whereas with me, I've done a lot in the past four years and I'm not surprised I don't remember some silly dance I did eight years ago.