8.13.2008

Rum on a Saturday

Sometimes small events can restore your faith in humanity. Grinaldo Artusi and I met up with a high school friend of mine at the local Irish Fair a few days back. Both Grinaldo as well as my high school friend are of heavy Irish descent, something I cannot claim to be true of my own herritage (Polish Power!). We decided to go, not only to see my friend before we both departed for collegiate life again, but also because Flogging Molly was playing.

Now I'm going to be honest, I can't even remember the last time I actually listened to Flogging Molly. This was proven to be true when I struggled to recognize about half of their set. But Grinaldo and I had seen them the last time they had headlined this particular festival (two or three years back now) and figured it would be an enjoyable, and equally importantly free, way to spend the evening.

Anyways, it was probably about halfway through the concert. We were hovering towards the back half of the crowd (as I've said before, I'm getting too old for the front row shenanigans) and somehow our position became part of the path for those headed either towards or away from the hazards of the pit that was rapidly expanding in front of us. A bearded fellow, no more than a couple years my senior, was attempting to squeeze past us and was visibly having issues finding a suitable path. Those who know me well will understand how rare the following is (Grinaldo: recall the gent in front of us at The Dark Knight?). I slid to the side and said, politely I might add, that he may pass this way. He stopped just in front of me, turned to face me, and said, "That was very nice. Would you like some rum?"

He ventured into his pocket and retrieved a flask style bottle of Captain Morgan from his pocket. I accepted his offer, took a swig of his rum, and returned the bottle (sidenote: I didn't even require the offered Cola chaser. Spats, you should be proud of me). The concert continued, the bearded fellow continued towards the stage, and the night ended...well actually it ended with a party and an odd reunion with yet another high school aquantence. Oh, and a smokin' hot cousin. But that's another story...

2 comments:

Leta said...

Sometimes I love people. That's a great story.

Smokin' Hot Cousin should be the name of an album.

TinMan said...

i am proud. very, very proud.

although, admittedly, the "smokin' hot cousin" story has piqued my interest. you should regale it at some point.