12.11.2007

All My Love Was Down In a Frozen Ground

I wish my camera worked so I could show you the world right now. You see, it's winter here in the midwest, which means we've had snow on the ground for a couple weeks now. Snow generally means relatively chilly weather. But what noise do I hear as I awake this morning?

Rain.

Now rain isn't a terrible thing on most days. The sidewalks on campus are old, thus causing horrendus flooding all over, but this is somewhat avoidable and all together not that inconveniant. However, rain plus snow (and vicariously rain plus cold) equals slush (and eventually ice). I could use some golashes. All of campus is either slippery or sloshy and I haven't decided which I prefer. Slippery has the potential for disaster, what with my ability to slip and slide like a master. Sloshy on the other hand has the 100% chance of soaking my feet, leaving my toesies cold, my shoes smelly, and my attitude mucky.

The trees are beautiful though. Every one of them is coated in a think layer of ice, causing them to sink into themselves, or occasionally lose limbs. As I look out the window from my perch at the library circulation desk, the outside world looks like someone took a snapshot of the gymnasium, framed it under glass, than cracked the glass in multiple places. The white branches crawl over the brick like ivy on prestige. I would dance if it wouldn't ruin my shoes.

I was walking to a meeting a few days back when I saw something marvelous. Steam was rising up from under a manhole cover in the sidewalk. Behind this steam was a lanky tree with a yellow floodlight basking it. This light was projecting the shadow of the tree onto the steam. The image wavered with the wind as the molecules lifted beyond it, only temporarily coating each morsel of evaporated water until it moved past the stencil it had become.

I can't describe how badly I miss my camera.

Sleep, though nourishing, has the potential to increase stress. I stayed up all night from Sunday into Monday for the sole purpose of spending more time with my friends before winter break comes. This was seemingly not the best idea. It was 8 am before I decided that bed was probably a good idea. Waking up at 1:30 pm for work proved nauseating, literally, as I was so dizzy I could barely make it to the bathroom. I texted my coworker and went back to sleep, not getting up until 5:30 pm. I was only awake from then until 1 am, at which point I decided that sleeping was more productive than playing pokeman on my computer. I woke up at 11 am this morning. That means that in the 27 hours from 8 am yesterday to 11 am today, I was awake for only 7 1/2 of them. As comforting as this sounds to the majority of my friends who are currenty sleep deprived, it allows for nothing to get done. This is only an issue because I was technically suppose to have a 2,500 word essay done by tomorrow at 1 pm. This, undoubtedly, will not happen. That's my second X (an incomplete without the consequences) in one and a half years of college. Let's hear it for me.

Bon Iver is still amazing.

No comments: