12.25.2007

Old Paint Is Peeling, This Is That Fresh, That Fresh Feeling

I got a GORGEOUS new pair of Bose speakers for Christmas today, and I was forced to ask myself a very serious question. I mean, these are Bose speakers. Bose. So now I'm faced with a dilemma.

What's the first song I should play on my brand new Bose speakers?

There are plenty of things to consider at this point. I mean, I want to experience the full range of potential in my newly acquired music boxes in one song. Hip-hop would best illustrate the bass abilities. Pop would display the treble. A musical soundtrack, especially something big like JC Superstar or The Lion King, would show the tonal range. The last time I was faced with this choice, I went with "Truth Is" by Brother Ali. Hip-hop, for those outside the know. This time, I wanted more.

Bluegrass would be good. It includes an array of instruments, each able to open up different nooks and crannies of my listening experience. Or some Daft Punk, something with a monstrous beat, but that would essentially be hip-hop again. Punk is automatically out. Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff, but it's severely lacking when it comes to tonal range. Folk's out too, just not enough variety to it. Where to go? Then it hit me.

Eels.

That's right. What kind of music could fill essentially everything I was looking for? The orchestral synth indie and soothing vocals of Mr. E himself. "Fresh Feeling" seemed like the best option, and I went with it. Good call on my part, I must admit, and the sound was astoundingly glorious.

Thanks Mom.

1 comment:

TinMan said...

I also received BOSE speakers for christmas from my mom. I chose to blast Prince. It seemed appropriate with the holiday spirit