10.20.2007

Desolation Row

Do you ever have one of those moments where you feel like you're tapped into something without even knowing it? I was walking around campus a few days ago and at one point I flipped on my hood for no apparent reason. About twenty seconds later it started pouring out of nowhere. It didn't strike me as odd until I got inside.

I've heard a terrifying number of people talking about Stephen Colbert running for president. I think the thing I respect the most about Jon Stewart is that, when people asked him about running for president, he always said how ridiculous of an idea that is. This this with Colbert scares me, just because people seem to like the idea. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he could screw up this country anymore than Bush has been doing, but he's a comedian. He's always been a comedian. You hear people say that they're worried about Obama's lack of experience, but he's got heaps more than Colbert. I just have this horrible vision of everyone writing in Colbert's name and getting him elected. What does that say about how our country views the idea of democracy at this point? Has Bush really lowered our standards that much? I mean, when democrats were saying "Anyone but Bush in 2004," I don't think they meant this. Our country's government has become a complete joke.

I wrote a short story a few weeks back now that, admittingly, sucked. However, there was a part where I talked about how the president really has no power over anything. I then compared him to the Queen of England, just another figurehead. I liked that part.

I'll post pictures later.

No comments: