10.25.2007

Let's Wake the Baby With a Baseball Bat


That's part of one of my lines as of lately. I've been having this discussion lately, I finally feel like I woke up. Like my brain snapped back on after coasting through the last three or so years. I've rediscovered my want for education and my want for change. It's hard to explain, but I feel like I'm a part of something again. I want to cause something.


The full line is "Let's wake the baby with a baseball bat/At least the screaming has a meaning, cat, consider that." It's from a song called "Hunger Pains Three" by Minneapolis rappers P.O.S. and Crescent Moon off of P.O.S.'s album Ipecac Neat. I'm not promoting making our infants cry, but just the idea of waking ourselves up so that our screaming is just a dream anymore. I dig it.

I've been head bobbing to the new Say Anything album, In Defense of the Genre, over the past couple days as well. It's great stuff. Usually when a group releases a two-disc album, I hate it. I've found that most of these (Stadium Arcadium for example) end up sounding like an album full of b-sides because, well, that's what they have to be. Few bands can record, in one setting, two discs full of quality material, but this is one. Sure, there are a couple songs I don't really get including, "Died a Jew" for example (a song in which the vocalist "brags" about the strife his people have gone through, but comes across sounding forced and poorly constructed), but overall, a very solid album. Check it out.

I'm writing again, creatively that is. I may post some of it on here, let me know if you want that.

No comments: