10.03.2007

Strange

I've found that there's a strange voyeuristic, yet romantic feel to blogs. Something about digging into the lives of people I either know better than I feel is safe, or people who I've only met through their music and poetry, it makes me feel communal. I've been an avid reader of Mike Doughty's blog for almost a year now, and I still read my musician friend Tommy's blog as often as I can. I can't tell if I like their blogs because I find what they're saying interesting, or just because I like what I know about these people, but it's addicting regardless of reason.
I browsed through my college's musical theatre songbook collection today looking for audition peices. I forgot how much I enjoy musical theatre. I found myself going back in my head to all the times I've sat in a theater and watched a musical, shows I haven't really even thought about since. I saw showboat when it came to the Twin Cities when I was like seven years old and I still remember "Ol' Man River." That stuff's just quality. I picked out "All Good Gifts" from Godspell and "Heaven on Their Minds" from Jesus Christ Superstar. I sang "All Good Gifts" for my high school's production of Godspell and I've been a huge JC Superstar fan since I was young. The one role I've always wanted to play in any theatre is Judas. That role is so interesting and complex, not to mention the showcase of vocal talent it allows.
A friend turned me onto this guy who plays under the name Bon Iver. It's pronounced Frenchly, as it's French. I've never heard anything like it. He recorded it in the wilderness of Wisconsin in a log cabin. Picture a mix between Iron & Wine and TV on the Radio. It's absolutely beautiful stuff. "Skinny Love" shakes me everytime I hear. I immediatly ordered the album and it showed up in my mailbox a couple days ago. It's irresistable.


I've been equally addicted to Saul Williams as of late. He's a beat poet with a degree in drama. He's entrancing. I read his book, ", said the shotgun to the head," and I'm in the process of reading "The Dead Emcee Scrolls." His other two, "She" and "The Seventh Octave," are waiting for me on my shelves. This guy's amazing. His word choices are so incredibly spot on, and his flow is haunting.

The new Iron & Wine is phenomnal as well. Sam Beam has grown so much since his first album that it's hard to even compare them.

I'll be in Northfield with my brother (from another family) tomorrow, which will be nice. I have seen him in over a month.

I accidentally put a pen in with my laundry a couple day ago. Now, I'm the first to wear interestingly decorated clothing, but even I have to turn down ink spots. My pants are okay, it doesn't look that weird, but it really trashed a couple shirts and a sweater. I love my clothes, so this has been really bugging me.

English Literature had it's advantages.

1 comment:

Leta said...

Agreed. Reading blogs, while some say it's a poor imitation of true interaction, is still somehow ... hypnotic?

Writing blogs is therapeutic, too.

p.s. If you haven't already auditioned for the spring musical, best wishes!