11.14.2007

We're Under the Same Stars

I wrote three articles for this week's issue of my college newspaper today. I don't even know what to say about that, other than the fact that I can't believe I'm still typing. By all means I should either be sleeping or, at the very least, enjoying some television. Unfortunately, my roommate is fast asleep, thus making me reluctant to power up the tube and see what's on. It happens.There was a fiction/poetry workshop reading on campus today, one that I had to take part in. It was surprisingly enjoyable. I read the first page and a half of a short story I wrote called "sllipills." It went over fairly well, at least as well as I could have expected for a hallucination story. I was pleasantly surprised by how wrapped up I got in my fellow writers' works. Not to say that I had low expectations, because that was not the case, I just didn't expect to become as grabbed as I was. I love feeling the art around me.

There's this girl...and I dig her...and she digs me...and I hope it works out. There's probably a lot more I could say about the situation, but I don't feel like now is the time, nor this the venue. These situations are when one can really test his ability to act confident and composed when, on the inside, he's a train wreck of hopes, second guesses, and over analysis. Sorry, anyways...

I got back from the newspaper office in need of something to soothe my ears. The original plan was to throw on M. Ward, especially his cover of Bowie's "Let's Dance," but I'm concerned that I'll overplay myself away from that track. It's so gorgeous though, it's hard to steer away from it. Instead, I threw on Karine Polwart's album Scribbled in Chalk. I picked this up for no reason other than iTunes told me I might like it. Tonight was my first play through, and I'm really happy with it. She reminds me of Antje Duvekot. Maybe it's just that I love females who can write and play folk music. More likely, it's the fact that Ms. Polwart is extremely talented.

I mentioned Fink a few posts ago, but I feel like they deserve another nod. They employ a mixture of folk/acoustic foundations with electro-indie sounds that creates a really innovative style. Kind of like The Beautiful Girls with a bit more soul influence. Definitely worth looking into.
After months of hearing things about the film Half Nelson, I finally got a chance to see it. Must say, well done. Ryan Gosling has really earned back the respect I'm sure he lost from being affiliated with The Notebook (never seen it, so I guess I shouldn't pass judgment). Kind of a downer film, like if Training Day was about education instead of the police. I found it fascinating and, as unfortunate as it is, completely believable. With the world we live in, I don't find it hard to understand when people need something to help them get through it. I'm not advocating the methods with which Gosling's character does this, but I do get it.

These are all still old pictures of mine. I need to find myself a tiny screwdriver to replace the back of my camera, which has proven incredibly difficult.

No comments: